Howdy! Looks like you have used 2.9 GB of your 3.0 GB upload limit (96%).

Will there be a My Forgotten Hobby II?

Looks like it doesn’t it?

This is what’s in the box.

I was a bit afraid to open it yesterday…LMF?

Lack of moral fiber?

Edward Rowland “Ted” Thorn and air gunner Fred Barker (source Internet)


I did not know what LMF was when I was a 10 year-old back in 1958 looking at model airplanes in the window display of a men’s store. 

60 years later I know how these brave men must have felt aboard a Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I. I know also that the Mk.II had some little problems to be ironed out. I read it in the Operations Record Book of RAF 264 Squadron.

I learn a lot reading those. Like what these unsung heroes did, seen here in Gerard Pelletier’s album.


The Boys at “264” Dispersal

Sergeant Fred Barker DFM and Bar

Bill Moncur and Johnnie Horan

Flight Sergeant Pelletier and Bill Moncur

Chandler, Rose, and Johnson

Mike and Tony Stuart

John Trigg

Edward Rowland “Ted” Thorn

Fred Pelham

Dan Corser and Ginger Lauder

You will understand why I won’t be building model kits for a little while yet even though the temptation is there to start building.



3 thoughts on “Howdy! Looks like you have used 2.9 GB of your 3.0 GB upload limit (96%).



    (R.N.Z.A.F, Official News Service.)
    AIR COMMAND, STH. EAST ASIA, January 16.

    How the supreme courage of an R.N.Z.A.F, gunner; Flying Officer John Spencer Horan (Auckland), who even though he was fatally wounded, remained at his post, undoubtedly saved the lives of the remainder of the crew of the aircraft, was related at a forward airfield on the Burma front yesterday, by the-pilot of the aircraft concerned.

    A Sea Otter rescue aircraft was on a reconnaissance trip off the Akyab coast when it was suddenly discovered that eight Japanese Oscars were on its tail, two of which came in to attack. Flying Officer Horan, gunner in the Sea Otter, opened fire. Two minutes later he reported that he was hit. The first navigator went aft and found him unconscious with his left hand blown off. Recovering consciousness as he was being dragged back into the fuselage, Horan insisted on returning to the guns He jammed them against his chest and continued to hold off the enemy.

    The engine was now on fire, the instrument panel shattered, the flaps shot away, and the tail ablaze. Bullets from the enemy were continually passing through the aircraft. Horan received further wounds on his head, but although these totalled up to seven, his fire never failed. He fired 800 rounds, and was still firing as the pilot managed to land the blazing aircraft outside the breakers and beach her. Flying Officer Horan died immediately.

    Two hours later, the remainder of the crew, including the navigator, who also belongs to the R.N.Z.A.F., Flight Sergeant J. A. Lawson (Onehunga) were flying again, and succeeded in rescuing a Spitfire pilot from the sea. The pilot, Flight Lieutenant Peter Almack, of Christchurch, England, insists that Flying Officer Horan saved the lives of the remainder of the crew- Flying Officer Horan, who was 24 years of age, leaves a young wife and infant son in England. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. P. Horan, reside at Manurewa, Auckland. Before he joined the R.N.Z.A.F. in February, 1940, Flying Officer Horan was employed on farm work with Mr. P. N. Anderson at Okoroire. His education was received at the Matamata District High School, and he was prominent in several sports, including cycling. He left New Zealand for the United Kingdom in April, 1940.
    Dave Homewood

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s